Wednesday, September 2nd, 2009...11:52 pm

3 Sept 2009 – Day 2

Jump to Comments

My second day of teaching went just as well, if not better, than my first day.  I had all fifth graders today and one sixth grade class, and their English was phenomenal.  I basically did the same lesson plan as yesterday’s, and they loved it.  They were eager to stand in front of the class and recite the questions I had on the board, and they especially enjoyed Hangman (I have a feeling they call it something else, because when I write the name, they get confused, but when I start drawing it, they go “ahhhhhhh”).

A funny thing happened during my first class.  Like I mentioned before, there is no A/C in most schools here.  So, within the first 10 minutes of class, I started to sweat…profusely.  All I was wearing was a polo and jeans, but for me that was enough to make me look like a fat kid chasing an ice cream truck.  The TA in the class thought I was nervous, so in the middle of class she handed me some tissues and a piece of paper that read “Don’t worry, you’re doing a good job!”  That was very nice of her and it definitely gave me some confidence, but I told her that it was simply the fact that it was hot in the room.  The TA then went above and beyond and went out in the hallway to open more windows.  They really take care of you here.

I was also intrigued by the number of male teachers at the schools.  I saw a good amount yesterday, and two (three if you count me) were in the English department alone.  It’s good to see some diversity here in the classroom.

Also, my day was cut short because all the teachers went to another school to sing – a celebratory activity for the country’s National Holiday coming up.  So it was nice to be done by lunch time.

I hope tomorrow goes just as well…